Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Downpour! A Flood at El Salvador & Armenia, Palermo, BA, Argentina

Well it happened.  Mary and I got caught out when it started to rain.  We had been assured by our landlord that the flooding wouldn't happen until a bit later in February.  I guess she was wrong.  We were out shopping and ended up back at Mark's Deli & Coffee House for some food.  It was so hot!  We noticed that it had started to rain - no big deal...

Then I decided to head over to the door to check it out.



Just a LITTLE bit of rain!  It happened SO fast! Luckily we were dry and cozy inside Mark's.  Although their roof started to leak (a lot!) and they lost power at one point, they let us all stay to wait it out. 
We decided to order dessert.


The rain was showing no signs of stopping, but it did seem to slow down a bit.  We took a chance and decided to make a run for it.  We had bought some leather bags and I was wearing leather soled sandals, so we had to put everything in plastic bags and I had to take my shoes off...

Yes.  I had to run down the streets of Buenos Aires in bare feet.  I had done it before though, so I figured it would be okay.

We actually stopped at a supermercado (supermarket) on the way home.  We needed milk and cereal and it was open, so...
I couldn't go in because of the bare feet though.

Anyway, by the time we were finished there, the rain started coming down so hard that we were soaked through in about 2 minutes.  We had to go about 6 blocks and it felt like forever!  But we made it!



Just a little bit wet...

Even the hallway of our apartment had started to flood.  The water was running down the stairs!


Quite an experience!

3 comments:

  1. I just remembered the first and most intense instant flooding i've ever experienced...it was in Bangkok and so intense all one could do was to give into the soaking and laugh..street vendors are super quick packing up their gears with plastic awnings and life just carries on. I stepped into a cafe and had a beer facing the street and enjoyed the symphony. Ah travelling, i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really all you can do - give in and laugh. We laughed the whole run home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure exactly why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.


    Also visit my homepage :: http://Slc-wireless.com

    ReplyDelete