Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Buenos Aires!

Mary and I arrived from Chile and checked into our apartment by about 5:30 pm.  It was really neat to come back to the exact same apartment that Ann and I stayed in when we were here almost exactly 2 years ago.  It looks exactly the same.  There are fewer cockroaches (actually there are none!), but everything else is the same.   Makes me think of Ann.  I do have to tell you that Gordy has died, Ann.  See photo below.

Sorry.  And none of the Cruisers are around either.

We took a bit of a nap and then headed out for dinner.  I decided that we should go to the place that Ann and I went to on our first night in BA.  La Paila!  We had a steak and a tamale and vino tinto!  It was just as good as I remember!  It was nice to sit outside and watch the people go by and enjoy some fabulous food and wine.



Even though I took a Spanish course about a year ago and have tried to learn it, I have lost most Spanish.  So reading the menu was quite tough.  We were trying to figure out something for dessert but we were struggling.  An Argentinian man overheard us and asked if he could help us.  He actually said "I notice that you are struggling..."  He was trying to figure out the menu (apparently it was even hard for him, so that made me feel a bit better about my language skills) and talking and translating things to and from our waitress, when all of a sudden she announces that she should get the English menu for us.  At the end of our meal.  After watching us struggle for so long.  It was pretty funny.  She was very sweet though so it was okay.  We settled on a quinoa brownie con helado (with ice cream) and it was delicious.  A great first meal on our first night here.

We walked down to Santa Fe street to get some Argentinian pesos and hoped to get some groceries but most things were closed.  We bought some orange juice and some cookies so we would at least have something when we woke up.

That was it for day one!



1 comment:

  1. That is what I like about Palermo: the fact that almost all the restaurants and bars have tables outside in the block for people to eat and drink outside. The buenos aires apartments I stayed in when I was there were all in Palermo, so each night I had dinner in a different one!

    ReplyDelete